Skip to main content

The Green Fingered Photographer

Well it is in my veggie patch
I lifted the shallots the other day and now I have got a space for something else. I was very impressed how many I got from the bulbs I put in at the end of Spring. Each bulb produced 5-6 new shallots, so as you can see I have plenty.
They have been one of the more successful veggies I have grown this year and I have learnt even more so come next year it will be even better. One of the mistakes I have made was putting in Sprouts and Turnips into such a small bed.
They have taken far to much room up and I wont be doing them next year. I have red onions and leeks doing very nicely as well and strawberry plants are around the edge. I have also become a surrogate tomato grower, as one of my neighbours daughter's doesn't have any space so I am looking after it. I have to say though with all this rain and cloudy days I don't think it will do very well as we will probably run out of sun before any of the tomatoes ripen.
I also had very green fingers yesterday as I squished all of the cabbage white caterpillars that had decided to munch through the sprout and turnip leaves. It does give me a bit of a dilemma though, as I spend lots of my time encouraging butterflies and here I am squishing them.


The Green Fingered Photographer

Comments

Colin and Carol said…
We too try to encourage friendly bugs but if they eat either us or our plants then they have to go!

Sometimes it is possible to leave food crops for the insects but this can be difficult in a small plot.

Your home grown vegetables seem to be thriving now I'm sure you will have a bumper crop next season.

Popular posts from this blog

Matava is Fiji's first Resort member of The International Ecotourism Society - Matava - Fijis Premier Eco Adventure Resort

Matava recognised as TIES first ever resort member in the Fiji Islands Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco-Adventure Resort is proud to announce that we are Fiji's first Resort Business member of The International Ecotourism Society (TIES) . As the world's oldest and largest international ecotourism association, TIES seeks to be the global source of knowledge and advocacy uniting communities, conservation, and sustainable travel. A common question asked is what EXACTLY is ecotourism? Ecotourism is: " Responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people ." (TIES, 1990) TIES promotes ecotourism, which is defined as "responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people," by: Creating an international network of individuals, institutions and the tourism industry; Educating tourists and tourism professionals; and Influencing the tourism indus...

Abundant Organics

Welcome to the new and improved website for Abundant Organics - an organic fruit, vegetable and groceries home delivery service based in Sydney delivering to the Sydney suburban area, Central Coast and the Illawarra. We specialise in certified organic fruit and organic vegetables and our completely secure on-line store is open 24/7 to take your order. Abundant Organics

Green Your Pet Care

For those who are working toward *getting green*, solutions often boil down to "moderation".  One pet per person in your household is ideal.  That way the person doesn't become overwhelmed by having to care for too many animals, and the pet is living in a healthier, more caring environment. As pet-owners, we love everything about our pets. Well, *almost* everything. There is the issue of what to do with their poop! There are now several biodegradable kitty litters available made from corn/wheat/pine flakes or recycled paper. The clumping varieties clump just as well as clay and are better for the environment. For dogs, whether you're walking him in public areas, or just letting him "do his business" in your yard, it is highly recommended to pick up the poop and dispose of it properly. There are several environment-friendly ways of disposing of your pet's waste products: 1. Put it in the Garbage     This is the *preferred* method in most area...